Warring factions in Sudan has agreed to a 72-hour ceasefire which took effect midnight on Monday.
It is the third suspension of fighting since violence erupted this month, but the others did not hold. Thus, creating a window for Nigeria and other countries yet to evacuate their stranded citizens to do so.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said the 72-hour pause in fighting had been agreed between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) after 48 hours of negotiations
Both sides in the conflict independently announced their involvement in the ceasefire.
Since the violence began, residents of the battle-scarred capital Khartoum have been told to stay inside, and food and water supplies have been running low.
About 5,500 stranded Nigerians including students have expressed readiness to be evacuated, just as the CEO of Air Peace Airlines,Allen Onyema has offered to airlift them free.
Support Action Now Journalism
By donating to ACTION NOW, you are helping to sustain credible journalism and promoting inspirational stories.Thanks.